Since I installed Windows 8 I have had the stdole32.tlb error when starting Microsoft Office Excel. After living with it for a few weeks and then much head scratching I solved it like this:
- Back up your Outlook PST file and save your email account information.
- Uninstall Office 2007.
- Restart your PC.
- Put the Office disc into the drive.
- Browse the disc and then right click on the setup file and select “Run as Administrator”.
- Run the setup.
- Start Excel and all should be ok.
- Reload your PST files and accounts into Outlook
The error is caused by a registry permissions issue but if you run the setup as an Admin it gets over this.
If you get then get the “There was a problem sending the command to the program” box check the following:
- Right click the Excel .exe file and ensure its not running in “compatibility” or “Run as Administrator” mode.
- Go into Excel and and then into the Options.
- Go down to the Advanced Options and look for the General area.
- Ensure that the “Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE)” checkbox is not ticked.